Estate planning is a process that allows the assets in your estate to be distributed to your beneficiaries according to your wishes in a timely, orderly and tax-efficient manner.
Reasons to have an estate plan: Having an up-to-date estate plan with a valid will helps to ensure that your dependents and heirs will be provided for according to your wishes.
1. Provide adequately for your spouse and dependents
2. Distribute assets according to your wishes, not the courts
3. You choose the guardian for your minor children, not the courts
4. Appoint your own power of attorney to manage your affairs
5. Reduce or defer taxes
6. Reduce probate, legal and executor fees
7. Provide funds for all final expenses and liabilities
8. Decrease the time and potential problems to settle your estate
9. Pass your business to your spouse, children or other party
10. Gift money or assets to a charity of your choice.